WP1: Whole systems analysis and economics
- Modelling whole electricity systems from generation to local distribution
- Model the dynamic evolution of the grid
- Stochastic modelling exploring the full parameter space
- Developing and applying new market-based models
WP2: Operational management of storage systems and grid control
- Design optimisation.
Multi-length scale, materials rich, dynamic models
- Effective grid interfaces for large numbers of cells
- Converter topologies, cell communication and physical/thermal designs
- Grid integration and real time control of energy storage systems
- Constraint control techniques
WP3: Technology breakthroughs, technology innovation, and materials and manufacturing for grid applications
- Redox flow batteries
- Sodium-ion batteries
- Science to manufacturing
- Thermal energy storage
WP4: Horizon scanning
- Link developments outside the consortium to our expertise and analysis
- Use literature, conferences, groups (EG&S KTN), EERA Horizon 2020, and Advisory Board expertise
WP5: Role in UK 2050 low carbon pathways
- What is needed for storage to play its proper part in the UK in future?
Apply whole-system model to design optimal storage
- Advise on technology needs.
Apply market model to predict how actual deployment may differ from optimal path
- Design policies to correct this.
- Road Map for successful technology and policy futures